A pair of goldfinches spent a few hours this afternoon on my thistle feeder. So nice to see them, I hope they make a nest nearby.
Pro tip: If you want to pick up some plants at the Evergreen Garden Market in Toronto, go early. Parking was at a premium, and several people followed me to my car when I left, and fought over my parking spot.
Beyond that – it’s a great place for native Ontario species at a good price, plus I found a lovely cat sculpture to sit next to my bird bath, just to keep the birds on their toes.
Todays new plantings:
- Monarda Didyma (5) – from Evergreen
- Swamp Milkweed (5) – from Evergreen
- Astilbe Younique Lilac (3) – from Sheridan
- Astilbe Arendsii Diamond (3) – from Sheridan
- Summer Sky Coneflower (3) – from Sheridan
- Valentine Bleeding Heart – from Sheridan
Plus I moved a couple of things around, and put in a shallow container of water for the birds.
I really like the bleeding heart. It’s a newer cultivar, but the whole plant has that “bleeding heart” smell that I remember from my grandmother’s garden, which seems to be lacking in other varieties.
Beyond that – everything is bird-, bee- and butterfly-friendly, which is my main goal for the space.